Doing our part
in projects worldwide
Our dedicated researchers are active participants in a number of innovative security and modernization projects. They are committed to helping find creative solutions to modern challenges by utilizing their research at Scytl as a foundation.
Election Results Reliable Sampling
A technological solution focused on the development of an innovative system for verifying electoral results through mobile technology.
The technological solution of the ERRS project focuses on the development of an innovative system for verifying the election results through new algorithms for image recognition and security that are implemented through mobile technology in order to validate the electoral scrutiny process.
The proposed validation process is carried out from the processing of images captured by the standard camera integrated into heterogeneous mobile devices (eg, smartphones or tablets) of the results of a representative sample of polling stations.
The digital files corresponding to the processed records are protected by advanced cryptographic protocols in the same devices that have captured them to guarantee their integrity and privacy before being sent to the central server where the results will be consolidated and also while they are stored in it.
New ICR, OCR and OMR techniques will also be developed for extracting information manually entered in the captured records. These algorithms are defined so that they can be adapted to the type of mobile device used for the capture and the features of the camera integrated into each device. Additionally, these algorithms are optimized both for the terminal used for the capture and interpretation of data (eg mobile device model) and for the central server that must process them and allow validating the correction of the automatic interpretation of the results, as well as for its later comparison with the official results.
For this, within the framework of the ERRS project, the following activities will be carried out:
– Increase the reliability and transparency perceived by society in the electoral systems, by providing a mechanism for verifying the results of the electoral scrutiny process
– Strengthen the credibility of the electoral processes by having an external verification mechanism (parallel) to the voting and consolidation systems already used by the electoral authorities in which the component of human error is eliminated.
– Improve the efficiency of the electoral process through reliable technology to validate the consolidation of electoral results electronically. This can lead to a considerable saving of costs in the organization and auditing of an election and improves the quality of the process which results in a better service to the citizen.
– Complete the range of solutions offered by Scytl to better adapt to each set of local electoral needs (laws, regulations, etc.), and to remain a global provider of this type of solution, especially for the modernization of electoral processes through the use of information technologies in a market of increasing demand.
The project is a joint international initiative that has the participation of the following entities:
– SCYTL SECURE ELECTRONIC VOTING, S.A.
– Autonomous University of Ciudad Juárez (UACJ), Mexico
– RETHOS S DE RL DE CV technologies.
The project has an estimated duration of 24 months, between April 2015 and March 2017.
MILESTONE 1 (12 months -> 01/04/2015 – 03/31/2016):
In this first milestone, the planning of the project, as well as the research and development of the first version of the ERRS software (alpha) will be carried out. Specifically, the research will focus mainly on the study of:
New image processing algorithms such as (ICR / OCR / OMR)
New algorithms to improve the accuracy of the captured image.
Advanced security technologies: cryptography, key management / robust user authentication, secure delivery channels and servers, multi-part security mechanisms.
Statistical analysis technologies.
Presentation of results obtained in MILESTONE 1.
MILESTONE 2 (12 months -> 1/04/2016 – 03/31/2017):
In the second milestone, the necessary design corrections detected during the realization of the first prototype of the ERRS system will be implemented, as well as the full development of the platform’s functionalities. Additionally, the investigation of the immutabilization mechanisms of data registered in servers will be undertaken. Finally, a pilot test of the beta version was carried out.
Project co-financed by the Center for Industrial Technological Development (CDTI) within the framework of the Call for Research and Development Projects, and by the European Regional Development Fund (ERDF) through the pluriregional operational program for smart growth.
Protecting Small and Medium-sized Enterprises digital technology through an innovative cyber-SECurity framework
Black Ice HSM
Advanced cryptographic technologies based on cloud computing for electronic voting environments